the Source of my source
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
When I read Scripture, I like to just pull out the facts from the verse and write them down. Then I turn those facts into points of prayer so my prayers have a spiritual element and I’m not just barking a list of anxieties to God every day. This verse is already a prayer! What to do with that?! I’m still going to pull out the facts from this prayer and pray it all over again.
1. God is the source of hope. Real hope doesn’t come from anywhere else. For nothing will be impossible with God. (Luke 1:37)
2. God gives people joy and peace. Real peace doesn’t come from anywhere else. I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever. (Psalm 16:7-11)
3. God takes care of those who love and trust him. Real care doesn’t come from anywhere else. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows... (Psalm 23:1-6)
4. God can make my heart overflow. Nothing else can consistently and perpetually do that. (When I think of all the things that have made my heart overflow, I see there are many, but the overflowing feeling comes and goes and based on circumstance. Examples: Bringing a new baby home overflows the heart until the umpteenth sleepless night. A spouse can make the heart overflow till there’s a misunderstanding or disagreement. Even driving a brand new car off the lot can make the heart overflow until it needs work done on it or the registration bill arrives.) My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life. (John 10:10)
5. The Holy Spirit is powerful. Nothing else is as reassuring. It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22)
Thank you so much for being my Source! You never run out joy and peace to lavishly pour out on me, and I am so thankful. I need all these things from you. Help me not live like the hope, joy and peace that comes from you is circumstantial. Thank you that these things are readily available through your Holy Spirit who is ALWAYS on call. Thank you so much! I love you so much and pray in Jesus’ name, amen.